Tuesday, September 20

Music is not a label

I listen to Metal. I work with Metal playing in the background too... I think it requires a great amount of skill and talent to play the guitar like some of my favorite metals artists do, in fact - I'm in awe of a few of them and they are my inspiration to learning to play guitar.


On the same note I am not a serial killer, depressed or a goth. I don't even wear eyeliner on a regular basis. However when I tell people I listen to Avenged Sevenfold they look at me with concern. Sure - there are extremists but most of those scary artists (Like slipknot) are actors too - behind the art of their music they live pretty decent lives and are civilized people.

SlipKnot - They scare me too - admit they're awesome though...

People tell me I listen to terrible noise that you can't even call music... If these people listened to decent music (Like Frank Sinatra, Billy Idol or the Beatles) I wouldn't be insulted, but then again anyone who listens to real music and is passionate about their music would understand anthers passion.

The Beatles 

Instead these are people who are claiming the latest Pop to be the only respectable modern music. Sure - for a period in my life I listened exclusively to the catchy dance and pop music - Some of it - Like Avril Lavigne and The The have a lot of really good songs (That i still have on my favorites playlist) but others (in my opinion) are a load of repetitive lyrics with no particular reason.


You may argue that dustup is nothing but random sound, as I argue pop is nothing but repetitive lyrics but again, Dubstep is an art as well. It requires a certain 'taste', but it has a lot of energy - If we compare Skrillex to Nicky Minaj, I'd want to side with Dubstep for it's obvious originality.

Even their name is cooler than Nicky Minaj

Pop has very little development in general - at least what I call the 'cheap pop' (music with no originality, no thought to the actual music and some person singing repetitive lyrics) It's the type of music that gets played so often you get over it after the first couple of weeks of its release.

An example of cheap pop... One of the worst cases...
if you are over 12 and listen to this... It's sad...
Music is something very subjective, in all honestly I listen to a vast variety of genres including house, jazz and Rock - Some of my very favorite include GoodLuck, Green day, Likin Park, Louis Armstrong, Goldfish and Simple plan (as well as the already mentioned Avenged Sevenfold) and many more.

Green day

Before you label someone because of the music they listen to - go do some research. Not only does it make good conversation and a great general knowledge basis, it's great fun.

You know they're also South African? So awesome! 

Dakz Out... 



No comments:

Post a Comment